Tuesday 21 June 2016

Urban Wildlife

For the #30DaysWild Challenge I appointed my urban dwelling cousin to rise to the challenge, and this is what she had to say!

"At the end of May I was talking to my sister in law about 30 Days Wild, and she said something along the lines of, 'How could you even do that here?' (We live in a city, in the middle of the country). I immediately pointed out the strategically planted trees as we walked through the city centre, and looked to the sky for birds.

But it brought up a good point - how can we get in touch with our wild side, get in touch with nature, in the middle of a city? It's all too easy, especially for is city folk, to get caught up in the world of concrete, cars and capitalism.


So I have written up a list of 4 of my favourite 'wild' things about my city. There were a lot more when I sat down and actually thought about it, but I've manage to trim it down. I'd advise you all, no matter where you live, to take stock of your home town and see past the industrialisation.

4. Although it may not seem like much, I saw a fox once. In an area where there's no wood or forest, or anything like that. On my walk home, just off the main road. I saw a fox crossing the road. Such a surprising sight, it was the last thing I expected to see, but there it was. I hope it got home okay. (Also, my nan used to feed the foxes by her old house, although she lived close to a wooded area!)

3. There's a country park just a couple of miles outside of the city centre. It consists of 500 acres, a lake, woodland, gardens, areas of conservation and much more. Click here to see their webpage!

2. The view from my bedroom window. we don't do much gardening in our household (something I hope to change when I have my own place!) So whatever is here if leftover from whoever planted the garden, but I love watching it. We have a tree that that neighbourhood cats used to take shelter from the rain, we have flowerbeds that die in the winter and then bloom in the spring.There are Bees and Butterflies, Ants and Spiders. And these past few months I have been kept awake in the mornings by a particularly annoying bird! But it's out there - City Wilderness that is.

1. Swanswell Park. This was one of my favourites places as a child. It's not exactly a great area, but it simply a few minutes walk from the city centre. But it has a small lake with an island, and it is home to Geese and Swans. As a child I remember watching the Swans attend to their nests on the Island. It's incredible to see such wild nature so close, so close to bus stations and shopping centres.

I realise that most cities are different, and not all make an effort to have such areas as these, but go and explore yours, see what is has to offer, and heck, go wild! "






Written by Amy Elson,
Urban dweller and Forensic & Biology Graduate











No comments:

Post a Comment